Policy Objectives and Priorities of Ministry of Justice in 2020
Ministry of Justice is Taiwan’s competent authority for judicial affairs, including prosecutorial administration, crime protection, correction, integrity policy, administrative enforcement, legal consultation, legal affairs of the Executive Yuan and training of judiciary. The affiliated agencies are divided into five systems: prosecution, investigation, integrity policy, correction, and administrative enforcement, and each performs duties in accordance with relevant laws and regulations.
To maintain equity and justice, the Ministry will continue to implement judicial reforms, enhance drug prevention and control, promote prison administration reform, enforce judicial protection, strengthen mutual legal assistance, establish an incorruptible government, implement human rights protection, improve modern legal system, strengthen administrative enforcement. The Ministry will also focus on the implementation of judicial reform resolutions, beating drug issues and establishment of intellectual prisons so that people can live healthy and work in peace and happiness for generations.
According to 2020 mid-term plan and budget quota of Executive Yuan and the current social status , Ministry of Justice enacts 2020 administrative plan as follows:
I. Annual Policy Objectives
1. Drug prevention and control and confiscation of proceeds of crime
- Strengthening and implementing drug prevention and control: pursue the source of drug supply with a people-centric approach in accordance with the “new generation anti-drug strategy,” eliminate the existence of drug by quantity, actively implement the action framework of anti-drug strategy to achieve the goal of safety and crime reduction; coordinate, integrate and implement various drug prevention and control measures, enforce severe punishment and rehabilitation after treatment in parallel to improve anti-drug synergy; work with relevant ministries to join international anti-drug organizations, promote signing of bilateral and multilateral anti-drug cooperation agreements to enhance the effectiveness of international cooperation in combating drug crimes; complete the establishment of drug prevention and control fund, implement various programs and fulfill the goals of the fund, such as“assistance in addiction treatment,” “return to society” and “solving youth drug problems.”
- Strengthen the efficiency of confiscation and cut off the niche of crimes: eliminate organizational crimes and crack down on telecommunications fraud, prevent the destruction of territorial conservation, crack down on various types of crimes against economics, finance and food safety, seize and confiscate proceeds of crime to recover money, eliminate criminal incentives and effectively deter crimes. In addition, the Anti-Money Laundering Office (AMLO), Executive Yuan coordinates Taiwan’s policies for money laundering prevention and countering the financing of terrorism, promote the signing of memorandum of understanding for money laundering prevention and countering the financing of terrorism with foreign countries, enhance money laundering information exchange with relevant units abroad, actively participate in activities of international anti-money laundering organizations and immediately grasp the change and trend of international anti-money laundering regulations to strengthen the system of anti-money laundering, implement money laundering crimes tracing, stay in line with international standards and build a sustainable environment of transparent cash flow and stable finance.
2.Promote and deepen mutual legal assistance at the international and cross-strait levels
- Establish a model for combating cross-border crimes and hold an important position as a hub for integration; investigate cross-strait crimes and jointly crack down on illegal activities.
- Improve the relevant domestic legal system and research into related laws on mutual legal assistance.
- Promote mutual legal assistance with foreign countries in civil and criminal affairs, negotiate treaties and/or agreements and strengthen the foundation of judicial cooperation with other countries.
- Expand the cross-strait diverse mutual legal assistance mechanism to continue improving mutual legal assistance actions; strengthen human care and ensure the protection of litigation rights.
- Strengthen government infrastructure protection to ensure national security.
3. Implement the United Nations Convention against Corruption, and allow the public to oversee the government
- Promote the United Nations Convention against Corruption (UNCAC) and follow the international anti-corruption trend: Implement the UNCAC and the concluding observations of the international review of the ROC’s initial Report, actively participate in the relevant international conferences and strive for hosting international exchange activities on anti-corruption.
- Improve anti-corruption practices to reduce corruption and unlawfulness: audit and evaluate corruption-prone business to reduce corruption and unlawfulness.
- Strengthen integrity governance and establish a clean and competent government: carry out integrity reform and develop “Procurement Integrity Platform” to reduce the risk of corruption in major procurements; promote integrity education and implement the Sunshine Law, therefore establishing a consensus on “zero tolerance for corruption.”
- The residential prosecutors working at Agency Against Corruption (AAC) conduct “pre-investigation” by integrating investigating actions made by AAC and Government Ethics Departments, thus improving the efficiency and quality of investigation; strengthen horizontal connection and refine investigative measures to increase the conviction rate of corruption cases; organize anti-corruption workshops to elevate investigation skills; promote the whistleblower protection bill so as to enhance the anti-corruption legal system.
4. Improve prosecutorial efficiency and strengthen criminal justice
- Implement important judicial reform policies, plan to establish a mechanism for people to supervise prosecutorial power, improve the professionalism and effectiveness of the prosecutorial system; continue to promote the crime of perverting the course of justice and whistleblower protection system; strengthen the protection on the rights of criminal victims and promote restorative justice to develop justice that protect human rights and meets the expectations of the people.
- Promote the plan on expansion and reconstruction of office buildings of the affiliated organs, interior decoration and equipment procurement; use advanced scientific and technological innovations in forensic methods to improve the quality of judicial forensics; complete forensic poison detection equipment, build modern international certification laboratories, and enhance the emerging drug testing capacity; Improve DNA identification of mixture from semen stain; improve the quality of DNA testing of unidentified bodies ; introduce the latest technology of human identification and maintain judicial justice.
- Develop one-stop digital integration service through cross-domain service integration, data governance and data activation to build a smart government and improve the efficiency of legal administration; use technology for investigation and case handling, bring the effectiveness of teamwork into full play, and fulfill people’s expectation of justice.
- Create a high performance data center of green energy and cloud computing for the Ministry, which will serve the Ministry and the affiliated prosecution, correction, administrative enforcement and against corruption systems and provide required computing equipment and resources for sharing and centralization system to improve the quality of legal service.
5. Improve the quality of detention and expand the detention space
- Build suitable and reasonable rehabilitation space: continue to promote new construction (expansion, relocation) plans for correctional institutions, provide new detention space, mitigate the overcrowding problems, continue to strengthen the care of inmates, improve the quality of rehabilitation to protect the human rights of the inmates.
- Promote smart prisons and strengthen technology-assisted guard: promote mobile visitation to facilitate the inmates’ family to go through visitation process; build an inmate smart card platform to strengthen the autonomous management of the inmates and simplify the administrative processing; strengthen monitoring technology and continue to drive the affiliated correctional institutions to establish a smart monitoring system and a remote monitoring mechanism, and establish a remote monitoring command center; completely deploy a monitoring system to implement human rights protection of the inmates; establish a security protection mechanism to assist the personnel on duty; standardize the specification of the monitoring system and integrate different warning system to reduce the pressure of personnel on duty; establish a master and studio control center to ensure the system operation; shorten the reporting time of accidents and increase warning time to prevent the accidents from expanding.
6. Promote community intervention, crime victim protection service and crime-related prevention and legal advocacy
- Promote alternatives to imprisonment and giving back to society through unpaid labor service.
- Continue to care for the situation of children and youth crime-committing, implement children and youth crime prevention and continuously revise the Juvenile and Child Delinquency Prevention Program.
- Provide diverse ex-offender protection service, strengthen the links between ex-offender protection, correction and observation mechanisms, combine non-governmental resources to in-depth community follow-up and coaching to assist in building personal and familial support and mechanisms for returning to the society.
- Cooperate with the inter-Yuan civic law promotion group, seek funding, combine civil society and social resources, popularize law education, and implement the resolution of the national judicial reform meeting to strengthen civic law education.
- Strengthen victim protection and empower victims to participate in lawsuit to achieve recovery function.
7. Implement human rights protection and perfect civil and administrative legal system
- Publish the third national reports of the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (ICCPR) and the International Covenant on Economic Social and Cultural Rights (ICESCR) periodically, and plan the international review meeting, improve the government’s deficiency in human rights through suggestions from experts and scholars, improve human rights standards to be in line with international norms.
- Deepen human rights education, popularize human rights awareness, strengthen human rights dialogues with civil society, expand human rights exchange at home and abroad, and strive to share human rights experience and synchronize with international human rights standards.
- Continue to review laws and regulations in accordance with the ICCPR and ICESCR.
- Provide various organs with consulting opinions on laws and regulations, and organize promotional activities of laws and regulations; review the civil legal system and improve administrative legal system to complete the civil and administrative legal system.
8. Promote diverse measures for people’s convenience and strengthen administrative performance
- Continue to promote diverse payment measures and gradually extend it to other transfer agencies. Moreover, various case fees may also be paid in convenience stores, financial institutions or post offices. Credit card and mobile payment have been available for case fee payment in order to increase the obligators’ willingness of voluntary payment. Meanwhile, we will continue the policy to care for the vulnerable groups to assist them in getting off the hook and fulfill their obligations.
- To improve the performance of obligation of monetary payment under public law, the Ministry has actively constructed an information-based inquiry system, actively planed for inter-agency cooperation, properly used technological law enforcement equipment, and promoted traffic justice projects; made good use of various measures, such as seizure and auction, to enforce obligors’ property; if necessary, cooperated with the transfer agency to facilitate the subsequent imposition of restriction on exit, prohibition of extravagance or appeal to a court for compulsory actions, such as arrest and custody, and supplemented by public whistleblower reward system to achieve the goal of fee collection.
- Last updated：2020/04/16
- Count Views：9198