- Publication Data：
- Last updated：
- Count Views：10199
Policy Objectives and Priorities of Ministry of Justice in 2021
Ministry of Justice is Taiwan’s competent authority for judicial affairs including prosecutorial administration, crime protection, correction, integrity policy, administrative enforcement, legal consultation, legal affairs of the Executive Yuan, and training of judiciary. The affiliated agencies are divided into five systems: prosecution, investigation, integrity policy, correction, and administrative enforcement, and each performs duties in accordance with the relevant laws and regulations.
In order to maintain equity and justice, the Ministry will continue to implement judicial reforms, focus on drug prevention and control, promote correction system, implement judicial protection, expand mutual legal assistance, establish an incorruptible government, promote human rights protection, improve and modernize the judicial system, and strengthen administrative enforcement. Additionally, the policy plan also focuses on the implementation of the judicial reform resolutions, the detection of drugs in schools and the suppression of drug recidivism, and the improvement of service quality through the use of innovative technology, with the aim of creating a happy home for all people, in which to live and work in peace and health for generations to come.
According to the 2021 guidelins and budget quota of Executive Yuan and the current social status , Ministry of Justice enacts 2021 administrative plan as follows:
I. Annual Policy Objectives and Strategies
1. Crack down on drug crimes, strengthen the recidivism prevention mechanism, and seize the confiscated proceeds of crime to effectively curb crime.
- Strengthen and implement drug prevention strategies: perform rolling reviews of the new generation's anti-drug strategies, detect drug dealers in schools, impose heavy and severe penalties for major offenses, such as drug trafficking, and expand the confiscation system so that it completely deprives criminals of illegal gains. For those who commit minor crimes, or only use drugs, appropriate criminal treatment shall be given to help make a fresh start and quit drug addiction, so that drug addicts can be effectively freed from drug hazards and thus inhibit recidivism. In addition, the Ministry of Justice is actively developing patented fast screening technology and producing fast drug-screening kits for emerging drugs which can expand the capacity of drug testing and jointly prevent the rampancy of emerging drugs.
- Strengthen the efficiency of the confiscation process and cut off the criminal niche: forcefully eliminate organized crime and combat telecommunications fraud, as well as economic and financial, food safety and other types of crimes; seize and confiscate the proceeds of crime, track such money and prevent perpetrator fleeing to cut off the criminal incentives and effectively curb crime. In addition, promote the signing of Memorandums of Understanding (MOU) with foreign countries on anti-money laundering and counter-terrorism cooperation, increase the exchange of money laundering information with relevant agencies abroad, and implement robust investigations into money laundering crimes; actively participate in the meetings held by international anti-money laundering organizations, to help keep abreast of changes and trends in international anti-money laundering regulations; improve the domestic anti-money laundering mechanisms so that they comply with international standards; creating a sustainable environment with transparent financial flow and financial stability.
2.Promote international and cross-strait judicial cooperation and exchange, and continue to promote the signing of mutual legal assistance agreements to combat cross-border crimes jointly.
- Continue to promote the signing of mutual legal assistance agreements to strengthen international judicial cooperation.
- Implement the pragmatic expansion of international and cross-strait cooperation in the civil and criminal mutual legal assistance programs, and the construction of a diversified cooperation network.
- Unify judicial forces and establish a model of international and cross-strait cooperation in combating cross-border crimes to jointly combat illegal activities.
- Improve the legal systems of mutual legal assistance programs and study relevant laws.
- Build a tight security protection network to prevent enemy spy infiltration and ensure national security.
3. Continue to promote the legal systems that protect whistle-blowers, implement the United Nations Convention against Corruption, and conform with relevant international standards.
- Implement the United Nations Convention against Corruption (UNCAC), promote public and private sector corruption prevention mechanisms, and conform with international anti-corruption trends: Promote and implement various anti-corruption initiatives, with reference to the UNCAC First National Report and the Concluding Observations of the international review, as well as prepare the Second National Report.
- Expand investigation by developing and implementing technological systems, risk databases and intelligent anti-corruption mechanisms, so as to enhance the effectiveness of such investigations.
- The prosecutor of the Agency Against Corruption shall coordinate and conduct preliminary investigations, which combines with the "initial case handling" of ethics units, to enhance the efficiency and quality of investigations; strengthen the overall and prevention forces to help increase the conviction rate; organize anti-corruption purging trainings that refines the investigation activities; strengthen horizontal communications concerning corruption cases; promote legislation on the whistle-blower protection to build sounder anti-corruption systems.
- Strengthen the maintenance measures that protect official secrets and agency security, make every effort to protect state official secrets and prevent the occurrence of harmful and/or sabotage incidents.
4. Enhance prosecutorial effectiveness and strengthen the criminal justice system
- Continue with the implementation of judicial reform policies, improve the external supervision mechanisms of prosecutors' non-prosecution dispositions, and establish a "Citizen Prosecutorial Review Board" system; adopt versatile intervention methods that assist drug abusers in breaking their drug addiction and rehabilitating back into society; protect the disadvantaged groups in the justice system and improve the early judicial intervention mechanisms for child abuse prevention; strengthen the preservation of evidence process and establish a complete system for the supervision and custody of exhibits; maintain an up-to-date case-closure approach within the prosecutorial system and establish an explicit stipulation of administrative closure; cut off external interference with the judiciary and promote legislation that inhibits obstruction of justice; follow through with determination to fight corruption and continue to promote legislation of Whistleblower Protection.
- Implement the establishment of advanced databases and digitization of epidemiological information, develop forensic identification resources, and use molecular pathology to solve difficult identification cases; enrich forensic toxicology examination equipment and construct modern international accredited laboratories to improve new psychoactive substances (NPS) identification technology and capacity, so as to reduce threats harm of NPS hazards; establish DNA extraction technology that examines the intestinal contents of maggots, establish a forensic DNA database for Han Chinese in Taiwan, and evaluate the DNA contents of the archived specimens over the years to improve the quality of DNA specimen examinations.
- Promote the smart transformation of legal services, build a digital-technology case handling and innovative service environment, bring out the effectiveness of team work in case handling, and promote the quality of such services.
- Promote the expansion (relocation) and internal renovation of the office premises of subordinate agencies and equipment procurement programs to enhance the overall administrative efficiency for legal affairs.
5. Strengthen technology-assisted correctional security that enhances the quality of treatment for inmates
- Constructing suitable and reasonable space for treatment: continue to promote new (expansion and relocation) construction projects of correctional institutions to provide new space for accommodations and alleviate the problem of overcrowding in housing; and, continue to improve the care of the inmates, improve the water condition for the inmates, enhance the quality of treatment, and protect the human rights of the inmates.
- Continue to promote smart prisons and strengthen technology-assisted correctional security measures: expand mobile visits to include correctional institutions nationwide to facilitate family members of inmates in applying for visits; continue to revise the functions of the smart security monitoring system and refine the user interface to improve the monitoring technology. In addition, continue to collect facial features and behavioral images of the inmates to expand the database data for use as the basis for subsequent analysis applications. Biometric technology is used along with the secure layout of the institution to expand the control functions of the inmate activity area; in cases of security incidents, security personnel can immediately make on-site determinations because of these features and control important passages accordingly, thus reducing the chances of expanding an incident.
- Improve inmates' rights to remedy: Pursuant to the Prison Act, amended and implemented in 2020, inmates, who do not accept prison disposition measures, rejection of parole, or revocation of parole, and further refuse to accept the resolution of complaint or deliberation, may file a lawsuit with the local court where the prison is located, or where probation is enforced, in order to protect an inmate’s human rights.
- Promote the treatment supervision program for drug offenders and drunk-driving offenders, enhance the professional skills of psychosocial treatment professionals and case management personnel, accumulate practical experience and continuously review and revise treatment policies based on such empirical research.
6. Promote community treatment, victim protection services and related crime prevention and legal information dissemination
- Promote alternative penalty measures of commuted sentences with services that give back to society through unpaid labor services.
- Facilitate juvenile delinquency related prevention programs and measures, and promote recidivism prevention mechanisms.
- Strengthen the connection of rehabilitation protection, correction, observation, labor administration, health administration, and social administration systems, expand the protection resource network, combine with private resources to provide diversified services, and establish mechanisms for personal transformation, family support and assistance, and social reintegration to reduce recidivism.
- Integrate civil organizations and social resources to help popularize legal education; cooperate with the Judicial Yuan operation of the Citizens' Law Promotion Team on implementing the resolution of the National Conference on Justice Reform to strengthen citizens' legal education.
- Strengthen the protection of crime victims, enhance the quality of services, and empower victims to participate in litigation so as to achieve healing and restoration functions.
7. Implement the international review mechanism for human rights and complete installation of the civil and administrative legal system
Continue to process the international review of the Third National Report on the two conventions, and to vigorously implement and manage the Concluding Observations and Recommendations, so as to encourage the government to improve human rights deficiencies, raise human rights standards, and conform with international norms.
Intensify human rights education, popularize human rights awareness, strengthen dialogues with civil organizations, expand the scope of domestic and foreign human rights exchanges, so as to share and learn from others’ human rights protection experiences.
Continue to review the laws and regulations relevant to the two conventions.
8. Enhance the effectiveness of administrative implementation, strengthen the quality of service to the public
- Abide by observing procedural justice and enforcing the law for general cases; adopt vigorous enforcement measures against large delinquent obligors by making good use of available approaches, such as: seizure, attachment, auction, restriction on leaving the country, application to the court for detention or custody, and giving rewards to citizens for reporting property, whereabouts or of living beyond the usual means of ordinary people, so as to induce the obligors to fulfill their monetary obligations under the public enforcement measures. Regularly review the effectiveness of enforcement, study and plan for improvement, and use inter-agency collaboration and communication to carry out projects that improve enforcement effectiveness.
- Provide care and relief measures to the disadvantaged obligors to help them out of such difficulties; develop virtual account payment plans and continue to improve multiple payment channels that enhance the quality of services for the people. In addition, a new service for online house or land viewing is launched to show land or unoccupied houses that are the subjects of auctions. It provides 360-degree photos of the up-for-auction land or interior layouts of the houses, and is available for viewing at any time to increase people's interest purchases of auction.